Effective July 22, 2011, House Bill 1053 has amended RCW 11.88 and 11.92 and will require additional steps to petition for guardianship or to have your annual
For Persons Seeking Appointment as Guardians:
1. Proof of completion of guardian training must be filed with the petition to establish guardianship.
2. All letters of Guardianship issued after 7/22/11, will have an expiration date. Annual reports must be submitted within 90 days of the anniversary date of appointment so the report can be approved before letters expire.
3. The following forms must be completed and filed within 90 days from date of guardian appointment:
a. Designation of Standby Guardian
b. Notice of Right to Request Special Notice
4. A Guardianship Summary information form must be included in any Order Appointing Guardian/Successor Guardian. If an attorney is representing the petitioner, he or she will prepare this form. (If the Guardianship Summary is contained in the Order, a separate Guardianship Summary form is not required).
For Existing Guardians:
1. When submitting an annual report (Periodic Personal Care Plan or Guardian's Report & Accounting) a guardian must submit proof of completion of guardian training.
2. After the Order Approving is signed, take it to the Clerk's Office and have new letters of guardianship reissued. There is a $5 charge for
the reissuance of letters.
3. A Guardian Summary must be provided in all Orders Approving Report & Accounting and Care Plans.
August 23, 2021
Superior Court Statement On Appearances In Court In Light of Governor's Order to Mask
The Superior Court is withdrawing this prior general presumption of personal appearance at hearings to address concerns regarding the Delta variant of Covid-19. The Court’s order can be found HERE. In light of the Governor’s Order that all individuals who enter buildings wear masks, regardless of vaccination status, it is appropriate for individuals who can appear remotely to do so if they wish. The Courtrooms remain open to the public with capacity limits and the requirement of masking for all. In some criminal matters it is necessary to require the presence the Defendant or Respondent.. Those who wish the opportunity to appear remotely via WebEx must ensure that their connection is sufficient to be heard and/or seen, and that their appearance and behavior during a hearing is appropriate for the Courtroom.
Court's Response to Coronavirus Pandemic
En respuesta a la nueva pandemia de coronavirus (o COVID-19), nuestros servicios estaran limitados
Click HERE for the latest information concerning the Court's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Effective September 1, 2021 - 2021 Superior Court
Local Court Rules
Click HERE for a description of the Ex Parte process.
The Courts will be closed for Labor Day on Monday, September 6, 2021.
Please refer to the Court Holiday Schedule to see changes to regular calendar.
Click HERE for information and attestation form.
Superior Court Administration Benton County Justice Center
7122 W Okanogan Pl
Kennewick, WA 99336
Due to the rapidly changing nature of the Court’s information on the internet pages, the Benton and Franklin Counties Superior Courts cannot insure 100% accuracy. The data and links are provided for informational purposes only and may not have been updated on the date you view it. The Courts assume no liability for any legal consequences arising out of any information on these pages.